background

Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day

I spent the weekend at my sister's cabin and had such a great time.  The trip to the lake was very last minute for me, but I really enjoyed spending time with her, her husband, and my beautiful niece AJ.  The weekend was a mixture of down time (because of rain, again) allowing me to make a great dent in my book, a quick bonfire, great food, and a boat ride complete with a teeny bit of sunburn. 

In all of this, I thought about S often.  How much he would have enjoyed spending the weekend there as well..... When I pulled the sweatshirt on that I wore to a bonfire the night prior, I was instantly reminded that the bonfire smell is his absolute favorite - He would seriously wear it as cologne if he could... seriously.  I thought about how much fun he would have had fishing today during our couple of hours on the lake.  When I saw all of the American Flags that lined the streets of the small town in Wisconsin, my mind would always shift back to him. 

To S:  Thank you for inspiring me with your courage and faith... courage to go to a war zone for a second time and having faith in me that I have the strength and bravery to go through this deployment as well.  Thank you for teaching me how to trust... for showing me that a relationship can be strong enough to sustainweeks/months without communication.  Thank you for being such an amazing role model and example of selflessness and commitment to a better good.  For teaching me patience (well, maybe we're still working on that one!) to roll with the punches and learn to deal with uncertainties that I cannot change.  And most of all, thank you for showing me what love is.... for making me feel it so much that I couldn't imagine spending 6 weeks without you let alone 14 months.... for giving me the strength to go day by day... and for showing me what true committment and faith really is.

To those that love a soldier or service-member, thank you for letting go of your loved ones while they fight for us.  Thank you for standing by them even though it means you have to serve in your own way as well.  Thank you, for supporting their bravery, pride, and desire to make an impact....

And to those of you who have lost a soldier, words cannot express my gratitude for their service and the sympathies I wish you and your family. 

Also, today I'm remembering my Grandpa C, a WWII vet.  He left this world for his next adventure last July and we miss him dearly.

Happy Memorial Day. 

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love!